A Comprehensive Guide to Common Spam Trigger Words and How to Avoid Them
Email marketing can be a powerful tool when done right. However, navigating the world of spam filters and ensuring your emails reach your recipient’s inbox can be challenging. To help you strike the perfect balance between casual and professional, we’ve put together this guide to help you understand spam trigger words, how spam filters work, and share some best practices for maximizing your email deliverability.
The Basics of Spam Filters
Spam filters act as gatekeepers, preventing unwanted emails from reaching inboxes. They evaluate various aspects of an email, such as subject lines, content, and sender information, assigning each email a score. If the score is above a certain threshold, the email is flagged as spam. Since different email providers have their own rules and criteria, it’s crucial to understand how these filters work when crafting your emails.
Common Spam Trigger Words to Avoid
To improve your email deliverability, be mindful of the following words and phrases that can trigger spam filters. We’ve organized them into categories for easier reference:
- Hidden assets
- Incredible deal
- Save big
- Fast cash
- Luxury car
- New domain extensions
- Stainless steel
- Cures baldness
- Human growth hormone
- Lose weight
- Weight loss
- Online Pharmacy
- Removes wrinkles
- Life insurance
- Stop snoring
- Act now
- Apply now
- Can’t live without
- Don’t hesitate
- Limited time
- Offer expires
- Special Promotion
- While supplies last
Being aware of these terms can help you create better subject lines and email content that won’t raise red flags with spam filters.
Crafting Effective Subject Lines
Your subject line plays a significant role in whether your email lands in the inbox or the spam folder. Keep these tips in mind when crafting your subject lines:
- Be genuine: Avoid making exaggerated claims or using over-the-top language. Keep your subject lines honest and relevant to your offer.
- Use appropriate punctuation: Refrain from using excessive exclamation marks or question marks. Keep your punctuation simple and purposeful.
- Maintain a natural tone: Avoid using symbols such as dollar signs, percentage signs, or ALL CAPS. Stick to a more conversational tone with proper capitalization.
Optimizing Content & Formatting
In addition to subject lines, the content and formatting of your email can also impact its deliverability. Consider the following tips:
- Strive for balance: Don’t rely solely on images or excessive visuals. Aim for a harmonious blend of text and images in your emails.
- Personalize your content: Use your recipient’s name and tailor your content to their preferences. This can help boost engagement and improve deliverability.
- Find the right tone: Striking the right balance between casual and professional language is key. Keep your tone friendly yet polished.
Monitor and Test Your Emails
Monitoring and testing your emails is essential for ensuring they reach the right inboxes. Here are some ways to stay on top of your email performance:
- Keep an eye on delivery rates: Regularly monitor your email delivery rates to identify any potential issues. If you notice a sudden drop, investigate the cause and make necessary adjustments to your email campaigns.
- Test your emails: Utilize tools like Litmus and MailTester to check how your emails perform against common spam filters. These tools provide valuable insights into any issues that may be affecting your email deliverability.
- A/B testing: Experiment with different subject lines, content, and formatting to find the perfect combination that resonates with your audience. Continuously optimize your email campaigns based on data and feedback to improve your deliverability and engagement rates.
As a cannabis business, effective email marketing is crucial for reaching your target audience and achieving your marketing goals. By understanding and avoiding spam trigger words, crafting compelling subject lines, and optimizing your email content, you’ll improve your email deliverability and ensure your marketing efforts don’t go up in smoke. Partnering with a specialized digital marketing agency like Kush Media Group can further elevate your cannabis marketing strategies and set your business up for success.
Contact us today to get help with your next email marketing campaign.